Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Long-suffering... now that doesn't sound like too much fun!

My first transfer as a missionary, my mission president asked me to study long-suffering. I was really not too excited about that assignment and wondered what it was prophesying of. 3 months later at our next interview President told me he had something really exciting for me to study... Long-suffering! At this point I was a little upset! I was not ready for a mission that meant long-suffering all the time! Yet again this last week President once again asked me to study long-suffering. I must have not learned enough! While I am still a little disgruntled at the idea of this continuation of studies, I thought I would share some of my thoughts!

The first thing I though was very interesting is how intertwined long-suffering is with the attribute of charity. We are told that Charity is long-suffering. Charity is able to continue onwards with love and joy by having patience with the faults of others. It helps us to be able to acknowledge others faults without using them against them or judging them. It is how we continue on in relationships without going crazy! It is also how Christ was able to love all those around Him. Timothy 1: 16 teaches us "Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting." 
Christ showed us the ultimate patten of long-suffering by working with us. Elder Holland demonstrated this idea by saying, "Except in the case of His only perfect Begotten Son, imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with. That must be terribly frustrating to Him, but He deals with it. So should we."Long-suffering is about allowing others to progress and change at their own rate why still loving them for their faults.

The other connection with long-suffering is found in Galatians when it tells the fruits of the spirit. Long-suffering is one of them! One way we can know if we have the spirit is by the way we can endure and progress through our trials. It is also required when we are awaiting guidance or peace. Without such a virtue this life would be far too long with far too few answers.

Long-suffering is truly a blessing we can have that will help us to be able to make it through this life. It will help us not only endure but endure well. So, inregards to my Mission Presidents advice, I will strive to develop a longer and more prolonged ability to endure and produce patience in my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment