Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Lay hold upon the word of God

Today when I was reading in Helaman I came across a scripture that I have always loved! Helaman 3: 29-30. It says
Yea, we see that whosoever will may lay hold upon the word of God, which is quick and powerful, which shall divide asunder all the cunning and the snares and the wiles of the devil, and lead the man of Christ in a strait and narrow course across that everlasting gulf of misery which is prepared to engulf the wicked—
The Book of Mormon - Another Testament of Jesus        ChristWhat an incredible promise! If we lay hold upon the word of God we will be lead to the right hand of God! Now that is a end that we all want. I was struck by that idea of laying hold upon the word of God and what it really meant. I know we are commanded to read the scriptures daily and apply them, but is that all it means to lay hold? As I pondered I was struck by how important it is to make the word of God apart of you. To study, know and live the word is key to being able to lay claim on the blessings found in it. Laying hold is grasping firmly and never letting go. It is the same way with our testimonies. We need to grasp hold to the things we know and live for them. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the key to ending at the right hand of God and the only way to have that key is to engulf yourself in the very source of it. I know that by laying hold of the word of God we can receive greater knowledge, a sense of peace and healing. (Jacob 2:8).  I am so grateful for the scriptures that teach us of this word and how to apply it. I am also grateful for a living prophet who speaks for God today and gives us His most recent word. I know that through living the word of God we can lay claim on those blessings found in Helaman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment