Friday, December 27, 2013

Eternal Perspective

When my sister first left on her mission I was not happy. I was so irritated that she would leave me for such a long time! I didn't know what I would do when I couldn't talk to her constantly. I was not a happy camper. It wasn't until I went and visited her mission with her that I recognized the amazing things she was able to accomplish. She was able to help others come together for eternity and to find true joy. That was when I recognized that I had only been looking at the situation from world perspective instead of the eternal perspective. Often we focus on the now instead of the forever. I was reminded of this principle while reading the scriptures today. Having an eternal perspective helps us to be able to understand why sin is wrong, why the commandments are such a blessing in our lives, and what we have to do to go Home to our Heavenly Father.

First off, why sin is wrong. We are taught in Alma 45: 16 that "the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance." When I was younger I always thought that meant that when we sin the Lord is that unhappy with us. My sister explained to me that really the Lord cannot look upon sin with allowance because sin takes us away from Him and He cannot stand to be away from us. It is true. When we sin we are separating ourselves from our Heavenly Father and from His guidance and love. When we understand that principle it helps us to avoid sin in order to become closer to our Father in Heaven.

Mosiah 2: 41 teaches us that those who keep the commandments of God will have never ending happiness! What a goal to reach after. When we recognize that the commandments are the way to happiness we will always see them as blessings instead of rules 
Said President Gordon B. Hinckley, “The happiness of the Latter-day Saints, the peace of the Latter-day Saints, the progress of the Latter-day Saints, the prosperity of the Latter-day Saints, and the eternal salvation and exaltation of this people lie in walking in obedience to the counsels of … God.”
And last, when we have a eternal perspective we really understand what we must do to return home to our Heavenly Father. We must strive to emulate His son Jesus Christ and follow after His footsteps. We all have the ability to do so because we are literal children of God and in such are able to access His help. However, "learning to be like Christ is a lifelong pursuit and we follow Christ's example . . . one action and decision at a time." (Preach My Gospel)

I know that as we keep an eternal perspective that our life will be happier and filled with a greater purpose and sense of desire. I know that keeping that perspective has helped me to become who I am now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment